Personal Curriculum

Purpose of the Personal Curriculum (PC)

The PC is a process to modify specific credit requirements and/or content expectations based on the Educational Development Plan (EDP) and individual learning needs of a student. It is designed to serve students who want to accelerate or go beyond the MMC requirements and students who need to individualize learning requirements to meet the MMC requirements. The personal curriculum option allows the board of the public school academy to award a regular high school diploma providing the student completes the requirements of the PC, including as many of the content expectations of the MMC as practicable. 

Providing Flexibility

A PC allows several flexible learning options, including: 

  • For any student, earning additional credit in specific subject areas and counting these credits toward meeting the state requirements. 
  • For students challenged with meeting Algebra 2 expectations, adjusting mathematics requirements. 
  • For students with an IEP, allowing modifications of the MMC necessary to demonstrate proficiency. 
  • For students transferring to a district from out of state or from a nonpublic school, modifications of requirements under limited conditions. When is a Personal Curriculum Modification Appropriate? A personal curriculum may be appropriate for a student who has demonstrate one or more of the following: 
  • The ability or desire to access advanced or specialized content that cannot be met through electives (e.g., district lacks the resources to provide the course/content, or schedule does not allow student to access district offering). 
  • The ability to succeed in accelerated or advanced math, science, English language arts or world languages.
  • The academic need to modify the Algebra 2 credit requirement. For a student with an IEP: 
  • A documented need to make modifications because the student’s disability affects access to and/or demonstration of proficiency in the curriculum.
  • Lack of progress on the MMC despite documented interventions, supports, and accommodations.
  • For a transfer student: Transferring from out of state or from a nonpublic school after successful completion of the equivalent of two years of high school credit. Please see your counselor if you feel you qualify for a Personal Curriculum.