Working At West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science
We see it as our job to empower teachers to be their very best, we pride ourselves on creating a positive work environment, and ensure that it’s a place you look forward to showing up every day. We value our people, we expect greatness, and we believe in whole-child learning.
West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science is a part of the Choice Schools Associates network of schools. Choice employs more than 600 educators and was named a Detroit Free Press 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 “Top Place to Work” based on employee surveys. Choice partners with school communities, empowering and equipping them to fulfill their unique mission and prioritizes the recruitment and retention of top talent as a critical component of success.
You will be successful at WMAES if you have or can build upon the following skills and characteristics:
- Teaching at WMAES is more than just a job, it is a love for our students and our community
- Creates a positive environment of empowerment and expects greatness out of every student
- Has the ability to be flexible, adapt, and modify to each unique student and their learning needs
- Will be responsible and accountable to the success of their students in the classroom and the school as a whole
- Develop independent learners who have the critical thinking skills to flourish and thrive
- Can take initiative to go above and beyond the basic expectations
- Willing to ask questions, collaborate, and seek out additional resources/professional development to continuously grow as an educator
- Eager to build relationships and learn about students that come from diverse backgrounds
Benefits and Opportunities at West Michigan Academy of Environmental Science
- Teachers and staff support each other. Each building has instructional coaches, trained student advocates, a dean of students, social workers, and a team of support staff to assist teachers.
- Planning time during lunch and encore classes.
- Robust professional development.
- A collaborative and professional environment.
- Work-life fulfillment.
- Competitive compensation.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance as well as teladoc and flex-spending accounts.
- 401(K) retirement plan options with up to a 5% match.
- 529 educational savings plan.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Paid time off in addition to regularly scheduled holidays.
- Employer-paid life insurance and short-term disability.
- Maternity and paternity pay.
- Teacher in Residency Program.
- Educational Assistance Program.
- Career pathways for professional growth.
- Fun employee perks and discounts.